Thursday, October 20, 2011

Day 1 of fast

Day 1 of Fast
Weight: 201 lbs
BP: 150/90

   First day of the fast has begun.  I've removed most situations where I'm confronted with food from my daily routine.  However, you still drive past fast food, and people in the office still snack.  The only way I could entirely avoid food is to stay in a sanitarium for the duration of my fast.  Unfortunately, that's not really an option.  As nice as it would be.

   I finished my last bite of food at roughly 8pm last night.  I started the day with a very clear head, no migraine but by 11am the fasting headache kicked in.  I don't expect it to be gone for at least a few days.  The headache has two purposes.  It's removing toxins from the bloodstream, and also, the body is starting to starve for glucogen and trying to get me to eat again.

   By the end of the 3rd day, I should be completely exhausted of glucogen.  After that, my body will switch to metabolising ketoacids.  Hopefully not long after that my headaches should diminish.  This is probably the hardest part of the fast, as it can be quite painful and difficult to sleep during this stage.  It only serves as a good signal that I need to eat and live more healthily in the future.

   As tempting as it is to give up and get a juicy Wendy's burger, and have a bottle of wine to cap it off, I have a focus, and a goal, and I'm not going to give up this time, for any reason aside from extreme danger to my health.

    I particularly don't like where my blood pressure is at, it seriously needs to come down.  I want to live to one day see my daughter graduate and get married and have kids herself.  Drugs aren't going to improve that, exercise and healthy food alone won't remove the problems from my body either.  So I'm driven to continue this and see where it leads me.

Travis Penner

No comments:

Post a Comment