Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Way of a Man With a Maiden...

  I've been so busy the last little while I haven't spent as much time reading as I should.  We had a nice family evening last night, which is rare.  My wife usually works most nights so I'm often at home in the evenings taking care of my daughter.  The rain let up and we all went for a family walk.

  It was Cassidy's idea, she came to me with the dog's leash, her way of telling us - it's time to go for a walk. Family is good, making memories with family is even better.

It's an Old Old Story



  When I was young I was so anxious to find my one true love.  My parents had a happy marriage, and I was under the illusion that once you discover your true love, it's all happily ever after after that.

  Unfortunately, unscrupulous men also are aware that young men particularly are driven by this desire.  It's natural;

Genesis 2:24
Therefore a man shall forsake his father and his mother and he will cling to his wife, and both of them will be one flesh.

  Men are driven to seek his wife and cling to her.

  When I encountered the International Churches of Christ, it was the carrot that Marty Udall dangled before me.  "In 6 months you could be married!!"  That is what he quite literally said.

  Of course for a young man, with raging hormones and desire for not only friendship, and romance - but also sex, this was like holding out the holy grail and saying "In 6 months this can be yours!  Just a small down payment in the form of baptism and swallowing our teachings whole!  Don't forget to give until it hurts at the offering!"

  He quite clearly understood the natural drive for single men seeking to begin a family and start their lives.

  He's not the first one to take advantage of this drive men have in  Genesis 29 we learn about the courtship of Jacob for Rachel.  He worked 7 years to earn her hand from her father.  What happened at the end of those 7 years?  He switched girls during the wedding and Jacob married the wrong woman.  Again, he worked 7 more years for Rachel, ending up with two wives.

  I too had the rug pulled out from under me, I spent nearly as many years before I got out of my situation.  6 years in the ICOC.  Fortunately God transformed my curse into a blessing.  I never ended up with the one I pursued originally in that Church.  I DID however end up with the best woman for me, in spite of how men originally intended to frustrate me.

  If you're in a cult or a situation right now, as a young single person and you find yourself yearning for that relationship, and it's mutual.  God does not intend for you to live in frustration.  In fact, it's his design that it should be this way.

1 Cor 7:2 Yet, because of prostitutions, let each man have a wife for himself and each woman have her own husband.

1 Cor 7:9 9 Yet if they are not controlling themselves, let them marry, for it is better to marry than to be on fire.

  Don't allow deceivers to take advantage of you.  God has built all humanity with natural desires, the unusual frustration of them leads to all kinds of unnatural perversions.  

  God bless, and be at peace, for God is at peace with you!

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment