Thursday, October 21, 2010

Day 5

    I had a lousy night last night.  Didn't sleep well and my stomach was churning.  I'm wondering what I ate that caused that.

    The wife would joke that I'm eating too healthy and my body doesn't know how to handle it.  Considering all the fast food I ate when I was working - it might not be too far from the truth.

    Yesterday I found out that the manager of my department who hired me originally 2.5 years ago has also been given his walking papers.  That shocked me.  Maybe it shouldn't have.  Back when I started, the company I was hired into was a smaller company.  It was kind of like Cheers in the office place, the place where everyone knew your name, and you knew pretty much everyone else.  If you didn't, just stay around long enough and you really will.

    About a year and a half later, fast forward to this past January, our company merged under the umbrella of a larger company, which also merged another 2 offices with our own.  Things changed, slowly, subtly, but quite dramatically now that I look back at it.  We went from being a small group who were almost family to each other to a larger corporation.  We changed from having 3 offices throughout the city to just having 2 and having to merge all these people into 2 locations.  In a few years from now, they plan on merging into on singular location.

    I have nothing against the corporate machine, it's not evil, it's a necessary part of the TSX machine.  It's part of staying competitive in a fierce business world.  I understand that.  However, a part of me feels nostalgic about the company I originally hired into.  It had more heart and was more of a people place.  Until I became part of it, I had never been in an office that was so laid back that even the managers went for lunch with the employees, kicked back and laughed, and didn't mind that we got back to the office at 2 in the afternoon.

    Being a Cad Technologist, I was even amazed at how the drafting staff, often treated as peons in other companies, were incorporated into the planning of various different projects.  Our opinions had mattered as much as the designer's and Engineer's.  I'd never experienced that before and it gave me a certain pride in my work.

    I can't say it's quite the same in the big corporate machine.  Which is understandable when you're merging two vastly different cultures together.  But if I were to punch my ticket for a job that's not my uttermost passion for another 40 or 50 years.   I'd want to be in a place where everyone knows your name.

    Wouldn't you?

    Moving on.

    Yesterday I got 2 calls from 2 different recruiting agencies.  That was exciting.  Now to see what comes of it and who knows?  I could be working in as little as a week.

    Doubtful though.

    It took me 3 months to find a company as wonderful as the one I had worked for, a pay cheque is nice, no matter the amount, but to work for a place you feel proud to be a part of.  Proud to have been chosen....  That can be hard to find sometimes.

    Which is fine - it gives me more time with you!

    So my plan today is a little simpler than yesterday.  I plan on getting some writing done.  I have the bones of a story I've been wanting to write for a while.  I think I'll set pen to electronic paper and see where it goes.

    And this afternoon, there's an elderly lady who's not able to get out of her house, eagerly awaiting her books from the library.  I'll pick those up and drop them off at her place.  And besides that?  We'll see what happens and what the day will bring.

CadMan

No comments:

Post a Comment